Cowboys news: Dak Prescott rejected $33 million offer from Dallas in September
Connect with us

Cowboys’ Dak Prescott rejected $33 million offer from Dallas in September

Dak Prescott, Cowboys

There is plenty of speculation regarding the looming contract extension for Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott. Although both sides have expressed their desire to get a deal done, they have also acknowledged the possibility of a potential holdout if a franchise tag is ultimately used for the 2020 NFL season.

Prescott’s lucrative new deal had been a talking point during the 2019 NFL season. The two sides nearly agreed to a $33 million contract until he raised his price tag.

Via Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

The two sides came close to deal in September on a contract that would have paid him roughly $33 million annually, sources said, before talks broke down when Prescott upped his asking price.

“I don’t want to get into the details, but we have offered him significant money,” Jones said. “The money we have offered Dak no matter how you look at it would put him as a top five quarterback in the NFL. That is the way we feel about him. He is one of the best.”

The report adds that Prescott is looking for a massive deal. The deal would potentially eclipse Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson as the league’s highest-paid player at $35 million annually. Meanwhile, Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes is prepared to reset the market by eyeing a deal that would pay him at least $40 million per year.

Prescott has provided the Cowboys with plenty of bang for their buck as a former fourth-round pick. The two-time Pro Bowler has emerged into a bonafide franchise quarterback and is hoping to finally be paid as such.

Teams are allowed to start placing franchise tags on Feb. 25 before kicking off their offseason program in early April. Dallas will need to do what they can to come to terms before a holdout from Prescott becomes inevitable.