Patriots’ Stephon Gilmore speaks out on uncertain future with New England
There have been whispers in the last couple of seasons suggesting the New England Patriots could look to trade star cornerback and 2019 Defensive Player of the Year Stephon Gilmore.
The 30-year-old is in the last year of his contract and surrounded by uncertainty regarding his future with the Patriots. But Gilmore told Ben Volin of the Boston Globe he is trying not to dwell on the things he cannot control:
“That stuff will play out as it will,” Gilmore said, via Myles Simmons of Pro Football Talk. “I just try to take it day by day, and that’s all I can do.”
A report at the end of March suggested Gilmore would be willing to sign an extension with the team that would lower his cap hit in 2021. He reiterated a desire to stay in New England on Monday, though he understands the decision ultimately rests with the front office:
“You’ve got to leave it in their hands,” Gilmore said, via Simmons. “Of course, I know what type of player I am, what type of person I am. I let everything lay on its own.”
Another report last month stated teams around the league were aware Gilmore could be had in a trade, though likely at a huge price. However, one NFL Insider later opined Gilmore and the Patriots would work out an extension.
Gilmore did not quite live up to his lofty 2019 standards this past season. He also suffered a season-ending quad injury and later underwent surgery in December. However, he remains one of the best players at his position, and a crucial figure in New England’s secondary.
Gilmore has said he would like to remain with the Patriots. But he is focused on the present with the hopes everything else will take care of itself.