Saints coach Sean Payton reportedly ‘cleared’ by doctors
Payton–who had been feeling symptoms as early as March 15–spoke about his improved condition on WWL radio (via Charean Williams of Pro Football Talk):
Saints coach Sean Payton, who tested positive for COVID-19 last week, said doctors “cleared” him Tuesday.
“I’m feeling a lot better,” Payton said on WWL Radio on Wednesday, via Jeff Duncan of TheAthletic.com.
Payton iterated the illness does not discriminate while also responding to some criticisms of a public appearance he made in Arkansas shortly before showing symptoms:
“Prince Charles caught it today, right?” Payton said. “It doesn’t matter if you live in a castle or an apartment. No one is too immune to it.”
“Hey, if I would have known I had this [COVID-19], I wouldn’t have been at the races,” Payton said. “And I had [flu-like] symptoms, so I was eligible for the test.”
The Super Bowl-winning head coach has shown a greater sense of urgency in raising public awareness and alerting citizens to the dangers of coronavirus since he first contracted the illness.
Payton said he hoped to use his own case and platform to try to connect and motivate those who might otherwise not be taking the threat as seriously as they should.
Of course, Payton and other athletic personnel have been fortunate enough to have access to testing. Still, it is invaluable that they have tried to use their voices to end the spread.