UFC’s Conor McGregor arrested for alleged attempted sexual assault in France
Mixed martial arts superstar and former UFC two-division champion Conor McGregor has been arrested in Corsica for attempted sexual assault, per TMZ.
Court officials said in a statement a complaint against McGregor was filed on Sept. 10 (via TMZ):
“Following a complaint filed on September 10 denouncing acts that could be described as attempted sexual assault and sexual exhibition, Mr. Conor Anthony Mac Gregor was the subject of a hearing by the gendarmerie services,” prosecutors said.
A rep for McGregor told TMZ “Conor Mcgregor vigorously denies any accusations of misconduct.”
This is not the first time McGregor has faced allegations of sexual misconduct. The Irish superstar faced multiple complaints in Dublin in 2018 and 2019, as Tariq Panja of the New York Times reported last October:
The most recent allegation relates to a complaint that a woman in her 20s was sexually assaulted in a vehicle parked outside a Dublin pub last week, according to the people, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of Irish laws surrounding investigations. McGregor, a 31-year-old mixed martial arts fighter who is one of the world’s highest-paid athletes, has not been charged, and the police have yet to interview him about the allegation. He was already waiting to hear whether he would be charged following a complaint that he assaulted a woman in Dublin last December.
McGregor has yet to face charges in either case, and has been steadfast in his innocence.
The former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion had jut gotten engaged to longtime girlfriend Dee Devlin at the beginning of August. The couple have two children.
McGregor has not been in the Octagon since he defeated Donald Cerrone by TKO in January, and his MMA future was unclear after he suggested he would be retiring.
However, McGregor might be facing a far more consequential fight after the latest allegation against him.