Justin Wren rips UFC star Conor McGregor for stiffing Dustin Poirier’s charity
UFC 257 took place back on January 23rd, 2021. It was the first pay-per-view event the UFC held this year, which was a highly anticipated rematch between Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier. During the contract negotiation stage of the fight, McGregor’s team was the first to reach out and ask Poireir’s team to make it a charity fight.
Since then, according to Dustin Poirier, McGregor and his team have not followed through with the donation yet. McGregor is supposed to make a $500,000 donation to The Good Fight. Ex-UFC star, Justin Wren has called out Conor McGregor for skipping out on donating to Poirier’s cause, per TMZ Sports.
“Dustin is an honorable man, a good character, who’s a family man, who has literally done everything he ever said he was gonna do and more … and the other guy hasn’t followed through on a lot of the things that he has said. So, I think that this really calls Conor’s character into question even more so than it’s already been.”
McGregor has quite a large fan base not just in the UFC but in the mainstream as well. It’s also true that sometimes he doesn’t follow through with what he promises. After securing two championship belts simultaneously, fans were looking forward to McGregor potentially defending both of them. Instead, he vacated both titles and has never defended a title in his entire career. It’s been a letdown for fans, and one of the few blemishes on his career. Dodging a donation to charity is never a good look, especially when it was originally McGregor’s idea.
Wren adds, “Conor didn’t rob Dustin of anything. What he did was he cheated or stole from the people he would’ve helped.”
McGregor and Poirier are set to fight again in July, but due to this social media altercation, McGregor has claimed that the UFC bout is off. He even tweeted to his fan base, asking who he should fight next.
Looking to start the foundations of a good fight you guys, who’s in?
McGregor Vs … ?
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 13, 2021
For now, the UFC has no plans of canceling their fight, but with McGregor’s latest actions, only time will tell what actually happens.