Chargers’ Philip Rivers is ‘pulling for’ Melvin Gordon
Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has caused some controversy with his comments on teammate Melvin Gordon, so he set out to clear the air on Thursday. Rivers had previously created quite the uproar when he said the Chargers were confident in the running backs they had in the facility in the wake of Gordon’s holdout, and he clarified those remarks after practice.
Speaking to reporters, Rivers said he is “pulling for” Gordon, via Charean Williams of ProFootballTalk.com.
“He knows that. I doubt anything I said will make PFT headlines, but I think those that know me will know that’s what I meant all along,” Rivers explained of Gordon. “If he’s not here, we’ve got to go, and I think that’s what I was saying three weeks ago. We do have good players here at that position, and so we’ve got to go.”
Gordon has said he isn’t going to play unless he gets a new deal, and Los Angeles has made it clear they aren’t willing to meet his contract demands.
“Are we better with Melvin? Heck yeah, we are,” Rivers continued. “So hopefully we have him, in addition to these other guys, and then it will be one of the saltiest running back groups around. Again, I’m in no place to speak for the organization, but I know no player is in a panic right now. We want to support him. We wish he was here, but we know it’s Aug. , and everything is OK at this point.”
It’s good to hear there’s no bad blood between Rivers and his running back of the past few seasons. If Gordon does indeed miss regular season time, it’ll be young players Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson filling in.