Quantcast
Connect with us

NFL

Steelers’ Mason Rudolph will remain as starting QB upon return

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has made it clear that once Mason Rudolph is ready to return from his concussion he will get the starting job back.

Steelers spokesman Burt Lauten said on Tuesday that Rudolph hasn’t been cleared by an independent neurologist yet, and until he is he won’t be allowed to speak to the media.

“Mason remains in the concussion protocol and has not been cleared by the independent neurological consultant,” Lauten told Ed Bouchette of TheAthletic.com. “Until he is cleared, and per the concussion protocol, he will not be made available to the media.”

The Steelers are currently on a bye week so it gives Rudolph some extra time to recover from the scary hit he suffered. Last week Rudolph was limited in practice and third-stringer Devlin Hodges was the one to start. Against the Los Angeles Chargers, Hodges completed 15 of his 20 passes for 132 yards, one touchdown, and one interception.

The stats don’t jump off the page, but he did enough to pick up a victory and it made some wonder if he would get another chance to start.

During Week 5, Rudolph took an illegal helmet to helmet hit from Earl Thomas. Thomas said he reached out to Rudolph to let him know the hit wasn’t intentional.

“I wanted to him to know that I didn’t do it on purpose,” Thomas said via ESPN. “That’s all I wanted him to know.”

The Steelers play the Miami Dolphins in their next game, and if Rudolph is healthy he will get the start.