The Chicago Bulls are not letting Zach LaVine get poached from them. After it was reported that the athletic shooting guard has agreed to a lucrative four-year $78 million with the Sacramento Kings, here comes a separate update from ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski, who said, while citing sources, that the Bulls have matched the Kings’ offer.
The Bulls have decided to match Sacramento's $78M offer sheet to Zach LaVine, league sources tell ESPN.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) July 7, 2018
Although the Kings maybe feeling dejected over the swift move by the Bulls, the cancellation of LaVine’s ticket to Sacramento can be a source of relief for the pair of Bogdan Bogdanovic and Buddy Hield, whose minutes are surely going to take hits had the Bulls failed to match the offer within the 48-hour time frame.
Conversely, LaVine’s U-turn to Windy City means that the Bulls are fully sold on the future of the former UCLA Bruins star despite the fact that it was not long ago when LaVine suffered an ACL injury.
LaVine, however, looked fine in his return from the said knee issue, as he managed to average an impressive 16.7 points in 24 games in Bulls colors last season. The bouncy 23-year-old guard was part of the blockbuster deal that sent Jimmy Butler to the Minnesota Timberwolves in June of last year.
In Chicago, Zach LaVine will not have much competition for minutes with Sean Kilpatrick being the only true shooting guard on Chicago’s current depth chart. Together with Lauri Markkanen and rookie Wendell Carter Jr., LaVine will look to resuscitate an ailing Bulls franchise that finished with an awful record of 27-55 last season.