Quantcast
Connect with us

Nets release statement in wake of George Floyd protests at Barclays Center

Nets, Barclays Center

The Brooklyn Nets have issued a statement in response to protests in Brooklyn following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis earlier this week.

The Nets and associated partners — including the Long Island Nets and New York Liberty — acknowledged the hurt felt by the black community as well as lobbying for a “peaceful response” in protests.

See the full statement from the Nets in the tweet below:

Protestors in Brooklyn have flocked to the Barclays Center in the last two days. More gathered on Sunday morning:

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio had said any police officers inciting violence or using unnecessary force would be reprimanded.

Via Edgar Sandoval of The New York Times:

The mayor promised that police officers who had used unnecessary force during the clashes would be held to account for misconduct, and he announced an independent inquiry into how the police had handled the protests.

“Any aggressive act toward a peaceful protester sends exactly the wrong message,” Mr. de Blasio said, referring to videos that show violent acts of apparent police abuse captured on videotape. “We will not accept that kind of behavior. It is unacceptable.”

However, many police forces across the country — including New York — have resorted to using force, often resulting in more violence rather than deescalation:

Players around the NBA have taken part in protests in recent days.

Karl-Anthony Towns and Josh Okogie of the Minnesota Timberwolves joined former NBA star Stephen Jackson at a George Floyd rally in Minneapolis.

Boston Celtics swingman Jaylen Brown and Indiana Pacers point guard Malcolm Brogdon both marched and made their respective presences felt in Atlanta. Brown has taken on a notable leadership role throughout this whole situation.

It is clear NBA personnel are not willing to sit idly by as tensions rise in America, and the Nets are just the latest team to make a statement.