Kemba Walker responds to LeBron James’ controversial All-Star Game comments
Walker — who likely won’t be selected for the All-Star Game — said Friday he salutes James’ stance:
“We all seen what Bron said,” Walker said, via Tomer Azarly of ClutchPoints. “I agree. He’s a smart man. A lot of things he says is correct. I’m probably gonna be on vacation.”
The NBA and NBPA are finalizing an agreement to hold the annual exhibition in Atlanta on March 7, but James said Thursday he had very little interest or excitement in playing in an All-Star Game.
LeBron noted players had been told prior to the start of the season there would not be an All-Star Game, adding the institution of such an exhibition is particularly confusing considering the strengthening of health and safety protocols amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
James is hardly the only player to posit skepticism. Sacramento Kings guard De’Aaron Fox said holding an All-Star Game would be “stupid,” alluding to the idea it is a financially motivated display that neglects health precautions.
With players around the league beginning to openly express doubts, will it still be worth it for the NBA to go forward?
Players might be every bit as intent on spending time with their loved ones as playing in a practically empty arena. Part of the proposed agreement states players can travel within the United States and territories. Might players just opt for that route, instead?
As of now, it still appears the NBA will hold an All-Star Game. But Walker’s statement about James and the respect players have for his intellect and savvy suggest there are no guarantees in this regard.