Report: Wayne Ellington will compete in 3-point contest
Miami Heat guard Wayne Ellington plans to take part in this season’s 3-point contest during All-Star weekend in February, marking his first appearance in the event, according to a report from ESPN’s Chris Haynes.
Miami Heat guard Wayne Ellington plans to participate in the 3-Point Contest at All-Star Weekend, league sources tell ESPN.
— Chris Haynes (@ChrisBHaynes) January 25, 2018
Ellington, now 29 years of age, is certainly a capable shooter from the perimeter. In his 47 games played for the Heat this season, the former 28th pick in the 2009 Draft has turned in averages of 11.2 points on 42.1 percent shooting from the field (40.6 percent from beyond the arc), 2.9 rebounds, and 1.1 assists.
Ellington knocked down a career-high eight three-pointers in a 113–101 win over the Dallas Mavericks earlier this season. Eight!
Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra recently noted that Ellington deserves to be in the 3-point contest.
“I would love it. He deserves it,” Spoelstra said. “I don’t know what the parameters are, how they decide that specifically. But if we had players and staff vote on that, I think Wayne Ellington would be out there on All-Star weekend and not be off. I’d love to see it. He’s got my vote.”
Ellington received quite a bit of fan support during the NBA’s voting process — a gesture he says “means everything.”
“That means everything,” Ellington said. “To see my teammates, to see the organization, to see the fans, the way they’re supporting me and pushing for me to get to that 3-point contest. Not just the 3-point contest, but for me to shoot that long ball, period. That confidence is what drives me. That confidence is what is pushing me to that level I feel like I can be at.”
This season’s 3-point contest will be held on Saturday, Feb. 17, inside the Staples Center. For a full schedule of events, hoops fans can head over to this link from NBA.com.
Join us in congratulating Ellington for being selected as a participant.