Rockets’ P.J. Tucker’s gruff 2-word response to question about contract extension
At the same time the Rockets were dealing with a firestorm of media attention from the Harden trade request, forward P.J. Tucker indicated he was displeased with his current contract situation. Not much has changed on that front, apparently.
Tucker was asked Monday whether he and the team had discussions regarding a potential extension. The veteran brushed it aside.
PJ Tucker, asked if he and the #Rockets have discussed a contract extension: "Next question."
— Ben DuBose (@BenDuBose) December 7, 2020
The 35-year-old has been one of the most important players for the Rockets in recent years, giving Houston an undersized forward who can muck it up with opposing bigs while also offering perimeter shooting. In fact, Tucker has been one of the best corner three men in the league in the past few seasons.
However, Houston’s front office has hardly taken initiative on engaging Tucker in extension talks, and The Athletic reported last month Tucker was furious at his situation:
For starters, P.J. Tucker, the undeniable glue of the team, has been irate over his contract situation all season long, sources said. Tucker, who signed for around $8 million a season back in 2017, has seen other ‘Three-and-D’ wings around the league receive paydays in less important situations than a key starter for a contender and believes he is worthy of a raise, sources said. Tucker, sources said, has stated his intent to finish his career as a Rocket for a long time but felt insulted by Houston’s decision to delay extension discussions and wait until after the Feb. 6 trade deadline to guarantee his 2020-21 salary.
Granted, the Rockets have a new leader in the front office, with Rafael Stone taking over for the departed Daryl Morey.
Still, it does not appear Houston has spoken with Tucker about an extension. That time might still come, depending on how things shake out with Harden. But for now, Tucker would prefer not to discuss financial matters.