Quantcast
Connect with us

Conor McGregor breaks silence on rape allegations

Conor McGregor

UFC legend Conor McGregor is facing a multi-million dollar lawsuit after being sued in Ireland by a woman who accused him of raping her in 2018. McGregor broke his silence on the allegations Thursday ahead of his UFC 257 fight against Dustin Poirier, insisting he has already been “cleared of all wrongdoing,” per TMZ.

McGregor went on to say that this is all “old news'” and that authorities investigated this case over the course of the last two years and nothing came of it. He immediately tried to pivot to talk about his upcoming bout.

The alleged incident took place on Dec. 9, 2018. The woman claims Conor McGregor raped her at a Dublin hotel. The New York Times has details of her claim:

While in the penthouse suite, the woman said in the statement of claim that she was “beckoned” to the bedroom by McGregor, who asked her to perform a lewd act on him, which she refused. McGregor began kissing the woman and removing her clothes, over her protestations, the statement said. After she bit and hit McGregor, he wrapped his arms around her neck and lifted her up three times, after which she ceased fighting back.

McGregor then told her, “That’s how I felt in the Octagon, I had to tap myself out three times, that’s how I felt,” the lawsuit said. McGregor raped her, according to the statement of claim, and demanded she lie on the bed next to him afterward.

The woman fell asleep and woke up in the early evening of Dec. 9, after which McGregor left the hotel with the woman’s work colleague before returning, the lawsuit said. McGregor’s friend gave her a drink. Her only memory thereafter is of being in a taxi, according to the statement. She said she was later told by the police that McGregor’s friend said he had sex with her, but she had no recollection of it and did not consent.

The woman wound up going to a sexual assault treatment unit at a local hospital. A month later, she reported to the police that she had been raped.

McGregor was arrested and questioned about the case at one point, but nothing came of it and no charges were filed. This spurred the lawsuit.

This situation loom over Conor McGregor as he gets set to return to the Octagon on Saturday. His bout with Poirier will be his first in about a year and is UFC’s first pay-per-view showcase of 2021.