Enes Kanter released in Romanian airport after passport was withheld
The spokesperson for the Romanian border patrol confirmed the development, via Benjamin Hoffman of the New York Times, and said that he boarded the plane after four hours. He also clarified that the Turkish international was not detained, and was allowed to freely roam around the airport.
“Today at around 1 p.m. local time an individual arrived from Frankfurt,” Mr. Fabian Badila, a spokesman for the Romanian border police, said in an interview. “My colleagues established that his travel documents weren’t valid, that they had been canceled by his home country, so he wasn’t allowed to enter the country.”
“At around 5 p.m., he left the airport on a flight to London,” Mr. Badila continued. “While he was at the airport he wasn’t detained or locked up, he was allowed to wander around, but he couldn’t enter the country.”
Kanter then took to his Twitter account to let fans know he is safe. He then added that he will have a press conference to share his experience, and also answer questions the press might have for him.
All good baby!
Gonna give press conference tomorrow in NY.
Got lots of things to say with lots of crazy stories.
Ohhh Yeeahhh pic.twitter.com/CXktUXk2PS
— Enes Kanter (@Enes_Kanter) May 20, 2017
The 25-year-old can now breathe a huge sigh of relief that nothing worse happened to him. He is scheduled to return to the U.S. soon and is expected to still work out during the summer to get into better shape.