Hornets GM Mitch Kupchak opens up about his expectation on late 2nd round pick
Charlotte Hornets general manager and president of basketball operations Mitch Kupchak is confident the team’s late second-round pick this year will not be a “draft-and-stash” guy.
This was what Kupchak told the Charlotte Observer’s Rick Bonell, noting that he isn’t working under such assumption.
Mitch Kupchak said he isn’t working under the assumption Hornets’ second of 2 second-round picks (52 overall) would be a draft-and-stash guy in Europe. That’s what they did in a similar situation a year ago by drafting Lithuanian Kulboka.
— Rick Bonnell (@rick_bonnell) June 15, 2019
The Hornets made the 21-year-old Kulboka the 55th overall selection of the 2018 NBA Draft. He saw action in the NBA Summer League last year but has yet to make it to an NBA roster. He is currently playing for Brose Bamberg in the Basketball Bundesliga (BBL).
In contrast, Kupchak believes the Hornets’ second-round selections has a shot to be roster candidates for the 2019-20 NBA season.
Charlotte also has the 12th overall pick of the 2019 NBA Draft on Thursday. Recent reports, however, suggest that the Hornets are looking to trade up and could include their second-rounders for a chance to get a better position in what could be one of the deepest lottery pool in recent memory.
The Hornets are trying to beef up the roster, especially with guards Kemba Walker and Jeremy Lamb entering free agency. Charlotte intends to re-sign Walker though and make him finish his NBA career with the team. Walker has previously said he is open to taking a pay cut just to stay with the team.