NBA 2K22: All the new game features announced so far
NBA 2K22 is out now. Check out our PS5 review here.
We’re excited about the next-generation NBA 2K game. This year’s version will be the first to make full use of next-gen functionalities. There are a lot of improvements, new mechanics, and new features for fans to enjoy in the latest version of the game. But it’s hard to keep up with all the buzz and noise in the gaming world. Hence, we collected all of the NBA 2K22 new game features we have so far into one article. 2K Games promises more details will be coming in August and September, so stay tuned as we update this article moving forward. Here’s what you need to know about the game’s latest features and changes, summarized for your benefit.
NBA 2K22 On-the-court Gameplay
The first NBA 2K22 gameplay trailer came out last August, revealing the gameplay changes new this year. For now, the NBA 2K team wants to share some specific changes on-court gameplay.
- OFFENSE – There will be new signature moves and combos to ankle-break your defenders. Precision jump shooting, dunking in traffic, and alley-oops will all now become skill-based. Basketball IQ will play a big part in NBA 2K22‘s top competitive spots.
- DEFENSE – A newly revamped shot contention and blocking system is just one part of the new arsenal of defensive tools players will now have. Suffocate the ball-handler with your strong perimeter defense. Playing in the paint has never been more rewarding, giving elite defenders more control on the outcome of the game.
Seasons will extend and enhance player experience with a steady arrival of new content for NBA 2K22. This applies for free to all players, whether you’re a MyTEAM, MyCAREER, or the all-new, next-gen The W player. There will be more content, more rewards, and more ways to play than ever before. Seasons will introduce new ways to level up your MyPLAYER and earn prizes in the City or in The Neighborhood.
For the first time ever, NBA 2K22 seasons will extend across MyCAREER, MyTEAM, and The W Online. Seasons will last six weeks each, with new songs added to the game’s jukebox every Friday throughout the Seasons. Rewards will be updated every new season, with the arrival of sets of clothing, badges, and even nail polish for the WNBA stars.
Build your dream team on Day 1, with new content and features coming in for every new Season.
- MyTeam: DRAFT – MyTeam: DRAFT returns in NBA 2K22, allowing you to select a complete lineup from a constantly updated pool of players. Whoever you draft, compete with your lineup against other players over multiplayer gameplay to earn rewards for your MyTEAM Collection.
- EXPERIENCE THE EVOLUTION OF MyTEAM – New features will arrive on Day 1 for MyTEAM, but the product will continuously evolve with new features, new challenges, events, and rewards as new Seasons roll in, keeping the game fresh all yearlong.
- CROSS-GEN PROGRESS & COLLECTION – While NBA 2K22 won’t be cross-gen save compatible, your MyTEAM progress and collections will be transferable between cross-gen consoles of the same family. That means you can keep your MyTEAM progress and VC Wallet across your console family.
Read all about what’s new in MyTeam here.
New City (PS5/Xbox Series X) vs. New Neighborhood (PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC)
The power of the new console generation makes its presence known in NBA 2K22. While the previous-gen consoles and PC players will get to experience a new and improved Neighborhood, those who will be playing from the PS5 and Xbox Series X are in for an entirely new experience in The City.
- MATCHMAKING OPTIONS IN THE CITY – The City will have new and quicker alternatives to matchmaking. MyPLAYERs can enter matchmaking buildings and play almost immediately. Matchmaking will be available for most game types and will contribute to all MyPLAYER progress.
- ALL ABOARD THE 2K CRUISE – The revamped 2K Neighborhood comes for previous-gen console owners, where they can show their skills in an all-new, dedicated basketball community. The Neighborhood is now built on top of a sailing cruise ship – talk about luxury! Find the Excursion counter and play in Shoreside Events – ball games played off the ship.
Read all about what’s new in The City here.
MyCAREER in NBA 2K22
MyCAREER becomes integrated to the New City for PS5 and Xbox Series X players, offering a groundbreaking narrative experience never before seen in NBA 2K. Explore the City, see new and familiar places, and start playing ball all over different locations.
- HIDDEN TALENTS – NBA 2K22 for PS5 and Xbox Series X MyCAREER experience will stretch beyond the four corners of the basketball court. Players can now pursue side ventures and live a life of luxury with lucrative deals and trendy spaces. Just like in real life, basketball pros can become business magnates, and it’s your chance to live that life here.
- NO PLACE LIKE HOME – Also for PS5 and Xbox Series X, players get to customize and keep their very own crib right at the heart of the City. Your personal hub represents your place in your NBA 2K22 journey. As you progress through MyCAREER, the better your own home will be.
Read all about what’s new in MyCAREER here.
For PS5 and Xbox Series X players, team management is more than just about the players on the court. Hence, it’s important to keep an eye on the back-end, too: scouting personnel, coaching and training staff, and so on. MyNBA/MyWNBA mode will have the chance to build the best sports team there has ever been.
Read all about what’s new in MyNBA and MySTAFF here.
NBA 2K22 builds off from last year’s The W mode to provide more realism and authenticity on the game’s female league. The game will feature the following changes for the PS5/Xbox Series X versions:
- New Player Progression – With a new badge progression feature, players will be able to earn badges to improve their games as they embark on the journey to become WNBA legends. Competing on the court or grinding it out in practice, players will be able to equip and upgrade badges to customize their MyPLAYER builds based on their unique specialties;
- Off-Day Experience – The W introduces three new playable activities to make off-days count. Scrimmages, team practices, and contact workouts provide the opportunity for players to hone their craft as they develop throughout the season. In a franchise first, historic and current WNBA stars can be challenged in contact workouts to acquire new skills on one’s own path to greatness;
- The W Online – Returning to NBA 2K22 for PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X|S consoles, The W Online brings new ways to connect with the 2K community. Players will be able to link up with friends before the matchmaking process to take to the court as a team. By playing games in The W Online, players will be able to earn Season XP as they level up to earn new prizes and awards.
NBA 2K22 releases on September 10, 2021, for PC, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PS4, Xbox Series X, and PS5.