As the official start of free agency creeps closer and closer, the Dallas Cowboys apparently believe star pass-rusher DeMarcus Lawrence will be wearing the silver and stars going forward. It's the timing and means behind retaining him, though, that remain up in the air.

“I don’t know the timing, but I’m very confident we can get a deal done,” Cowboys executive Steven Jones, son of owner Jerry Jones, told Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News on Tuesday.

Last week, Jerry Jones stressed optimism about the Cowboys' chances of signing Lawrence, alluding to the personal relationship the two share that he says is “one of the best relationships I have or ever had with a player. The relationship is outstanding.”

Lawrence followed up a breakout 2017 campaign with another strong performance last season. He finished with 10.5 sacks, leading his team by a significant margin, and also contributed a career-high 64 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 23 quarterback hits, and two forced fumbles.

Article Continues Below

It's no secret that Dallas wants to bring Lawrence back next season. After being franchise tagged for 2018, though, the 2014 second-round pick expressed dismay at the prospect of playing on a single-season deal again going forward, telling NFL.com in March 2018 that being franchised gave him the “opportunity to really break the bank next year” in free agency. In late January, Lawrence doubled down on his desire for a long-term deal on Twitter.

Lawrence is reportedly seeking a contract that would pay him approximately $20 million. The two-time Pro Bowler, still just 26, figures to enjoy several more seasons as a true impact player, making him worth a sky-high annual price tag.