James Harden ties Russell Westbrook for most 50-point 10-assist game in past 30 years
There are times where real life is blurred with video games and when those moments come, it’s hard to tell the difference between the two. Sunday night would be one of those nights as the Houston Rockets squared off against the Utah Jazz in what was expected to be business as usual.
The Rockets are still awaiting the return of All-Star point guard Chris Paul whom coach Mike D’Antoni alluded to seeing back on the court in two weeks as a best-case scenario.
This meant James Harden would again lead by asserting himself on the court and setting out to ensure his team came away with the win, and he did just that.
Facing the third-toughest defense in the league, Harden played as if he didn’t notice and found himself sitting in the history books when it was all said and done.
The Rockets superstar hit 3-pointers, made layups, executed step back jumpers perfectly, and willed his way to 56 points and 13 assists in an impressive 35 minutes. The Rockets pulled away winning the game 137-110 as Harden efficiently scored his points on 19-of-25 shooting, making 7-of-8 3-pointers and 11-of-12 free throws.
— NBA TV (@NBATV) November 6, 2017
The Beard also tied a record set by MVP Russell Westbrook last season.
James Harden has tied Russell Westbrook for the most games (3) with 50+ PTS & 10+ AST in the last 30 seasons. pic.twitter.com/61CA4sXHlH
— NBA.com/Stats (@nbastats) November 6, 2017
The Rockets’ record is now 8-3 while James Harden has once again etched another spot in the history books Yahoo Sports noted his night in summary:
- He scored 54 points in just three quarters
- He became just the second player to score 50 or more points while dishing out 13 or more assists (Oscar Robertson)
- His 56 points were the second most in NBA history on 25 field-goal attempts
- His 56 points were just one point shy of Calvin Murphy’s franchise record
- It was the sixth 50-point game of Harden’s career — no other player in Rockets history has more than two