Report: Ice Cube’s BIG3 league to launch 3-week quarantined tournament
Ice Cube’s BIG3 League plans to launch a quarantined, reality show-style three-on-three tournament in April to help satiate the nation’s appetite for basketball in the aftermath of the coronavirus sports hiatus, per Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports.
Ice Cube and entertainment executive Jeff Kwatinetz have reportedly been having ongoing conversations with multiple TV networks since late last week:
The preseason tournament will feature 16 to 22 players from The Big3 who are negative for the coronavirus, and they will be quarantined in Los Angeles, sources said.
To assure the league is operating under safe conditions, players will be quarantined in a large home provided by the league, sources said. A basketball court/facility will be built on site. If a player breaks quarantine at any point during the tournament, he would be eliminated and removed from the premises, sources said.
“As long as we can protect the players, which we will do through proper testing and quarantine, Ice cube and I feel we can give fans some safe, entertaining brand of basketball to get everyone through this pandemic,” Kwatinetz told Yahoo Sports. “Cube and I have been in the entertainment business for 30 years. This is our job. People want to be entertained with all we’re going through and enjoy our sports. We think this will help.”
The BIG3’s 2020 season was set to kick off on June 20 in Memphis. Because of the coronavirus, the NBA, NCAA, NHL and MLB were forced to cancel play, with golf and tennis following suit.
The BIG3 gives former NBA players the platform to play the game they love again for fun. The league even helped Joe Johnson get a contract from the Detroit Pistons, but he didn’t make the final roster.
Johnson won the BIG3 MVP award for last season.
Hopefully, this plan by Ice Cube and the BIG3 league comes to fruition. Sports fans have been miserable for the last week without having anything to watch, even though the NBA and NFL hooked everyone up with free games.