Kings’ Harry Giles reacts to G League assignment
After learning of his imminent move to the G League, Sacramento Kings rookie Harry Giles still remained positive in the wake of rather undesirable circumstances.
According to Kings insider Jason Jones, Giles graciously accepted the organization’s decision.
“I’m just going to play basketball,” he said. “It’s another step I’ve got to take in my journey to where I’m trying to get.”
The 20-year-old has failed to make an impression on Kings head coach Dave Joerger thus far, which is probably why the team decided to send him down to the G League. Giles only played two minutes against the Los Angeles Lakers on Saturday, which was preceded by two straight DNP-CDs.
Nonetheless, Giles did admit that despite his almost non-existent impact so far, he still did not expect the forthcoming demotion.
“I’m not going to say I thought it was something that was going to happen,” he said.
After being drafted 20th overall by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2017 NBA Draft, Giles was immediately shipped to the Kings together with Justin Jackson in exchange for Zach Collins (picked 10th overall by the Kings in the same draft).
Giles sat out the entire 2017-18 season while recovering from ACL surgery, and it was only this term when the 6-foot-10 big man was able to make his NBA debut.
As it turns out, the Kings want Giles to cut his teeth in the G League before contending for a spot in Joerger’s rotation.
All the best for Harry Giles, and we hope to see him back sooner rather than later.