Lions LB Devon Kennard explains affirmative vote on proposed NFL CBA
A few players in the NFL have expressed their opinion on the new proposed Collective Bargaining Agreement, and Devon Kennard of the Detroit Lions is the latest. After the NFLPA representatives voted in favor of it, Kennard explained his affirmative vote for the proposed NFL CBA on Twitter.
My vote was YES. pic.twitter.com/Z9kgkLhBdI
— DK (@DevonKennard) February 27, 2020
Within the proposed plan, players will see an increase in revenue share during the season. The current CBA gives players 47 percent of the revenue, while the league retains the other 53 percent.
Now, with the new CBA, the league is willing to allow players to make 48-48.5 percent of the revenue. To players like Kennard, that seems like a drastic improvement and a reason to accept the new CBA. In addition, the Lion linebacker Kennard is content with the changes that have been made for player benefits.
However, there seems to be a major divide between the players on this new proposed plan from the NFL. Before Kennard, Aaron Rodgers was among the players that voted against the proposed plan.
My thoughts. # pic.twitter.com/VOmCSNiI4f
— Aaron Rodgers (@AaronRodgers12) February 26, 2020
Despite the divide, the NFLPA player representatives voted 17-14 in favor of the new CBA. Given that, the next vote will be held by the players union. The basis of the proposed plan is a 17-game season, an extra team in the playoffs, and expanded rosters.
Without a doubt, the players in the NFL aren’t on the same page when it comes to the new CBA. Nevertheless, the NFL may have sweetened the deal enough to persuade the majority of players to support it.
The current CBA is set to expire in March 2021, but the NFL wants to have a new CBA in place before next season. In the event that most players feel the same way as Kennard, the new CBA would go into effect through the 2030 season.