After Major League Baseball and Rob Manfred announced the decision to cancel another week of regular-season games on Wednesday, the MLBPA issued a fiery statement in retaliation. In their address, the MLBPA blasted the decision from MLB ownership to further delay Opening Day and cancel another slew of games, calling it “completely unnecessary” and sharing their side of how things went down on Wednesday.

The statement from the MLBPA was brief and direct, reading “The owners’ decision to cancel additional games is completely unnecessary. After making a set of comprehensive proposals to the league earlier this afternoon, and being told substantive responses were forthcoming, Playesr have yet to hear back.”

“Players want to play, and we cannot wait to get back on the field for the best fans in the world. Our top priority remains the finalization of a fair contract for all Players, and we will continue negotiations towards that end.”

Live and breathe baseball?

🚨 Get viral MLB graphics, memes, rumors and trending news delivered right to your inbox with the Clutch Newsletter.

In short, MLB owners told the MLBPA that they’d submit a counterproposal to the latest adjustments submitted by the Players Association. The MLBPA alleges in its address that no such counter-offers were made and that ownership decided to go forth with further cancellations without putting forth any effort towards reaching a new deal.

This is similar to the tune the MLBPA has been singing throughout this entire process, in that there’s no desire from the side of ownership to get a deal done, and that MLB owners simply do not care about the product of baseball. Negotiations will continue, but the lack of progress we’ve seen in the past three months is more than discouraging and suggests that it could be a long time still until the two sides finally agree to a deal.