Raiders WR Antonio Brown angry at losing guaranteed money, doesn’t plan to play
It was announced on Friday that the Oakland Raiders planned on allowing wide receiver Antonio Brown to play in the team’s season opener on Monday night against the Denver Broncos, but apparently, there is a catch.
Jeff Darlington of ESPN says that Brown told him in an e-mail that the Raiders took away his guarantees and made his contract “week to week,” adding that there is “no way” he plays after Oakland did that.
Brown also took to Instagram on Saturday morning to tell the Raiders to release him.
It has been a tumultuous week in what has been a tumultuous offseason for Brown overall.
Earlier in the week, Brown was fined $54,000 by the Raiders for missing some time during training camp. Displeased with the penalty, Brown posted the fine letter Oakland sent him on Instagram.
Then, on Wednesday, the 31-year-old confronted Raiders general manager Mike Mayock in a heated dispute that nearly turned physical before Oakland linebacker Vontaze Burfict stepped in and restrained Brown.
The Raiders were then reportedly debating whether or not they should suspend Brown, with some suggesting that Oakland should void the $30 million it owed Brown in guaranteed money and then release him.
However, Brown apologized to his teammates and the organization on Friday, and shortly afterward, it was revealed that the Raiders would be permitting him to suit up for Week 1, but, obviously, there were some strings attached.
Oakland acquired Brown in a trade with the Pittsburgh Steelers back in March, sending a third-round draft pick and a fifth-rounder to the Steelers in exchange.