Seahawks admit they ‘could not wait any longer’ for Jadeveon Clowney
Less than a year after acquiring Jadeveon Clowney via trade, the Seattle Seahawks are likely ready to move on from the former No. 1 overall pick.
Per Curtis Crabtree of Pro Football Talk, while the door is not closed on Clowney being a Seahawk, the team could not wait any longer in addressing their pass-rush needs this offseason.
“He came in and did a great job for us,” Seahawks General Manager John Schneider said of Jadeveon Clowney on Tuesday. “We made an effort to re-sign him. The door is not closed, but we couldn’t wait any longer and so we had to conduct business. He knew that. Everything was very cordial.
The Seahawks traded for the Houston Texans star defensive end last August, giving up a 2020 third-round pick, linebacker Jacob Martin and defensive end Barkevious Mingo in return.
While Clowney was brought in to address Seattle’s weakness of rushing the passer, the three-time Pro Bowler simply had a down year in 2019. Clowney made 11 starts in 13 games but recorded just 31 tackles, three sacks and seven tackles for a loss — all three being his lowest total since his rookie season where he appeared in just four games.
As a team, the Seahawks continued to struggle on defense, ranking 29th in the league in total sacks (28.0) and 22nd in points allowed per game (24.9).
Clowney requesting to be paid in the range of $20 million is the likeliest reason he will not return to the Seahawks in 2020. While Clowney sits on the open market, Seattle made moves to address their needs.
The Seahawks brought back two pass rushers in Bruce Irvin and Benson Mayowa — both of whom had played in Seattle earlier in their careers.
“We were able to acquire Bruce Irvin and Benson Mayowa, two individuals that we’re very comfortable with (and) confident in,” Schneider said. “I think they bring 16 sacks (15.5 sacks). So, yeah, we’re excited about having those guys back.”