Splatoon 3 Return of the Mammalians Release Date: When is it coming out?
Splatoon 3 came out with a brand new trailer at the most recent Nintendo Direct, though no specific release date outside a window of 2022 was announced. However, there are several new details that have been revealed for the game, which is one of the most anticipated Nintendo Switch Exclusives.
Splatoon 3 Return of the Mammalians Release Date: 2022
The official Nintendo Switch update page for Splatoon 3 sets up the game’s premise as follows:
“The theme of the Splatoon 3 story mode appears to be “Return of the Mammalians.” Wha?! As far as we know, mammals have disappeared from the surface of the planet (minus a couple cool cats, of course). What does it mean for these Inklings?
This Splatsville youth and trusty little Smallfry buddy are scrap hunters who search for junk gems by day and splat it up in Turf Wars on the side. It seems this Inkling met the New Squidbeak Splatoon and is now their new Agent 3 in the continued fight against the evil Octarians!”
Additionally, it details some new features coming to the game, such as Fuzzy Ink, which “pulsates like a life-form, but doesn’t actually seem to be a living creature” – it’s partially covered by brown fur, and if an Inkling comes into contact with it, they will suddenly have brown fur sprout all over their body, rendering them into an uncontrollable ball of fur for a certain time frame.
However, Smallfry aren’t affected by this, and they can eat and clean it up – possibly a key mechanic in the upcoming game. Additionally, Smallfry can also attack Octarians, activate puzzles, and assist in other ways.
Several new stages were also shown off in the trailer, such as:
- Eeltail Alley, an old metropolitan neighborhood
- Museum d’Alfonsino, which has a sophisticated transportation network, and several galleries and exhibits
- Scorch Gorge, a desert of large rocks and hydrothermal vents, heavily featured in the trailer
There are also new special weapons coming to Splatoon 3:
- Crab Tank, which attacks with a powerful rapid-fire gun and wide cannon
- Big Bubbler, a fixed contraption that produces a shield around an area
- Zipcaster, turns an Inkling into a shadowy warrior with stretchy tentacles that can also help them stick to walls
- Tirzooka, which has a powerful shot that fires three blasts at once
- Killrt Wail 5.1, has six megaphones that move autonomously and attack enemies with lasers
Unfortunately, there is no specific release date announced just yet for Splatoon 3, but will be coming out sometime in 2022. We’ll be sure to update you all once the final date is set.