Browns’ Kareem Hunt says minor incident in Cleveland was a wakeup call
The Cleveland Browns and general manager John Dorsey took a risk by signing Kareem Hunt. When the star running back was involved in a physical altercation at a downtown Cleveland bar in late June, it appeared as if Cleveland’s gamble was already proving a mistake. Two months later, though, Hunt is adamant he’s using another off-field incident as a wakeup call.
“I’m always gonna have work to do,” he said on Monday, per Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. “Since I stepped in the building I had work to do, so, I’m just gonna keep staying in my lane and do whatever I can to take my game to the next level and stay out of trouble.”
Rumors began circulating in early June that Hunt was involved in a fight at Barley House, a local bar. Hunt spoke with police offers after the incident and wasn’t arrested, while the owner of the bar told Ben Axelrod of WKYC3 that the fracas was “blown out of proportion.”
The Browns signed Hunt in February. He was released by the Kansas City Chiefs in late November of last year following video surfacing of him assaulting a woman at a Cleveland hotel the previous February. The NFL announced in March that Hunt would be suspended for the first half of the 2019 regular season as a result of him violating the league’s personal conduct policy.