Chargers’ Melvin Gordon ‘waiting on the call’ while training amid holdout
The Los Angeles Chargers are currently without the services of starting running back Melvin Gordon, who is still holding out for a new contract.
The former first-round NFL Draft pick is still expected to play under the stipulations of his four-year rookie contract as it stands today. However, the veteran running back out of Wisconsin now feels he has done enough on the field to earn his second pro contract.
With training camp and the 2019 preseason both well underway, Gordon remains away from Los Angeles. However, it appears as though the Chargers’ running back is staying in shape and is “waiting on the call” from the AFC West franchise.
Melvin Gordon, who is nearly five weeks into a holdout, told ESPN he is training rigorously in Calif. and staying ready to play football. He wants to play but continues to wait for a resolution, doesn’t want to discuss the contract. “Just waiting on the call,” he said.
— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) August 19, 2019
While Melvin Gordon remains away from the team, this back-and-forth between him and the Chargers has been anything but quiet. Initially, Gordon was unhappy with some comments made by longtime Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers. The discontented running back immediately fired back, seemingly making things more difficult for the two sides.
“They’re going to get a lot of work. It certainly is a deep position for us, and those guys all love to play and work hard. We love Melvin, but we’re going to go with what we’ve got. It’s a pretty dang good group,” Rivers previously told reporters, via The Big Lead.
Wild right !! https://t.co/iNudX8pHVl
— F L ⚡️ S H (@Melvingordon25) July 26, 2019
The 26-year-old Melvin Gordon appeared in 12 regular season games for the playoff-bound Chargers last season, averaging 5.1 yards per carry. Finishing the year with 885 rushing yards and an even 10 touchdowns, Gordon also added 50 catches for another 490 yards and four touchdowns via the passing game.