The Las Vegas Raiders recently gave controversial quarterback Colin Kaepernick a workout. The Raiders were the first organization to do so in a number of years. When news broke of the workout, the story became a national sensation. The initial reports were that the workout went well, leaving many to wonder if Kaepernick would earn a roster spot. Ultimately, that never came to fruition.
Earlier this week, Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive tackle Warren Sapp made news. He said of the workout:
“I heard it was a disaster. I heard one of the worst workouts ever… wondering how the hell this happened and a tape didn’t get out.”
The comments were shocking to hear. Sapp however did not disclose any sources from the Raiders or any others where he received this supposed information from. Nor did he provide any evidence to support his claim. On Sunday, Kaepernick's agent, Jeff Nalley, responded, as captured by NBC Sports writer Mike Florio.
“I guess Warren didn’t talk to the (Raiders) General Manager or the head coach,” Nalley told Pro Football Talk via text message. “I spoke to the G.M. several times and he said they all thought Kap was in great shape and threw the ball really well and encouraged any team to call him about the workout and he would tell them the same.”
Kaepernick has not played in the NFL since New Year's Day of 2017. Despite the fact that some of his skills had appeared to have eroded, most people believe he still can very easily at least claim a backup spot on some teams. There has since been the perception that he has been blackballed by NFL owners for taking a knee during the national anthem.