Rajon Rondo slated to start over Lonzo Ball
“Luke Walton told me today that Rajon Rondo will be the Lakers’ starting point guard to start the year,” said McMenamin during an appearance in ESPN Radio’s Lakers Talk. “Lonzo told me he was just cleared today for full contact practice, but Walton had already said that won’t include scrimmaging.”
The move is potentially a band-aid until Ball gets back to full health after undergoing surgery in mid-July, and one of the reasons the Lakers went with an experienced veteran at the position, given Ball’s fragile injury history during his rookie season.
Ball played in only 52 games in 2017-18, marred by shooting woes from all over the field, as well as the free-throw line. The Chino Hills native displayed his passing gifts, rebounding and defensive ability well enough to remain the starter in a youth-infused roster.
Rondo isn’t married to the idea of starting with this group, noting his willingness to come off the bench if that is what is deemed necessary.
“Whatever role coach gives me, whatever role this team wants me to play, I’ll play it,” Rondo said on Monday’s Media Day. “Whether it’s starting 15 games and getting benched for eight, I’ve been through it all in my career… I’m ready for anything.”
”I’m not defined as one thing coming here. I’m just here to bring what I can to the team. Intangibles, obviously be a leader, hold guys accountable and bring a championship mentality.”
The Lakers are unlikely to rush Lonzo Ball back into action, which could give Rondo plenty of run during the start of the season alongside LeBron James and company.