The New York Mets witnessed a scary sight in their loss to the St. Louis Cardinals when Brandon Nimmo injured himself. The center fielder hit a foul ball off of his quad and left the game.
After the game, Nimmo said that he feels fine and is going to take his injury day by day, according to AP. Fortunately for the World Series hopefuls, he is staying clear of the Mets injury report.
“It feels all right now, I just got a lump on it. We’ll just take it day to day and see how it is in the morning.”
Nimmo provided a positive update on the following day. He tested his quad out ahead of the Mets' penultimate game against the Cardinals. He said that he should be able to play and that, if manager Buck Showalter decided to sit him out, it will only be out of precaution.
Brandon Nimmo is on the field testing his quad before tonight's game: pic.twitter.com/mi7cXWhl3k
— SNY (@SNYtv) May 18, 2022
So far this season, Nimmo has been the Mets' best hitter. The 29-year-old has the best on-base percentage (.397) and OPS (.855, the only Met over .800) on the NL East leaders while recording only two more strikeouts than walks. Only power hitter Pete Alonso has a better slugging percentage than him.
Although Jacob deGrom is recovering from his scapula injury, adding Brandon Nimmo to the Mets injury report would not have been good news. Fortunately, that will not be the case. Although the Mets will struggle with a hobbled Nimmo and Starling Marte being away from the team due to bereavement, they are fortunate to avoid a long-term injury.