Derek Carr never wavered in his confidence that he would be the Oakland Raiders' starting quarterback for 2019, stating that he never doubted his status in spite of rumors that the Raiders could draft a quarterback with the fourth overall pick last month.
So, just how little was Carr's concern?
“About negative 47 percent if that’s possible,” Carr told Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio. “I guess it doesn’t happen everywhere and people are shocked by it. But the general manager, the head coach, and the quarterback are all on the same page all the time, whether it’s good news or bad news. And, that’s how we operate here.”
But what about beyond 2019? Is Carr worried about his status for the future?
“Let’s just get through this year first and then we’ll play that game again and I’ll probably have some more fun with it, but I’m not going anywhere,” Carr said Tuesday. “This is my team and it will be for the next however long I want to play.”
Carr is coming off of a 2018 campaign in which he threw for 4,049 yards, 19 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions while completing 68.9 percent of his passes and posting a passer rating of 93.9.
The 28-year-old, who played his collegiate football at Fresno State, was originally selected by Oakland in the second round (36th pick overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft and has been the starting quarterback ever since.
His best season came in 2016, when he threw for 3,937 yards, 28 touchdowns, and six picks while completing 63.8 percent of his passes and registering a passer rating of 96.7.
Carr made three straight Pro Bowl appearances between 2015 and 2017.