Quantcast
Connect with us

Thunder news: Carmelo Anthony astonished that done deal with Rockets didn’t go through

The newest addition to the Oklahoma City Thunder, forward Carmelo Anthony, is still intrigued as of why a July trade that would send him from the New York Knicks to the Houston Rockets didn’t fall through.

“I think it was within the last week, week and a half before training camp, a deal was done with Houston early,” Anthony said during an interview with SiriusXM NBA Radio via Frank Isola of the New York Daily News, transcribed by Robby Kalland of Uproxx. “Then for some reason, whatever happened behind the scenes it didn’t go through, it didn’t fall through. Then we really had to pay attention and think about other options.”

The Knicks and the Rockets had plenty of talks during the summer, with several stops and starts to the conversation — still unable to pull off a deal without a third partner to provide the young assets that New York sought in exchange.

Anthony was hellbent on landing in Houston, expressing to the Knicks’ front office his discontent with the organization, his desire to part ways, and his ultimatum of only dropping his no-trade clause for the Rockets.

Houston had wanted to move Ryan Anderson and his $60 million contract as part of the deal, which had made it less enticing for the Knicks to move forward in negotiations.

Meanwhile the Portland Trail Blazers joined the race, trying to woo Melo to Rip City, but the 10-time All-Star remained focus on joining fellow Jordan Brand mate Chris Paul and the new-look Rockets.

Ultimately, the pressure leading to Media Day and the start of training camp made it uncomfortable enough for Anthony to open up his options, considering the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Blazers,and the Thunder as possible landing destinations.

“Believe it or not, I felt like I was going to be back in training camp and show up at media day in New York,” said Anthony. “Me and my team sat down Friday night and was like, ‘Let’s prepare for going back to media day on Monday and training camp that week.’

Then we got the call and they said, ‘Would you open it up to OKC.’ And I was like, ‘Yeah.’ At this point, yeah. I don’t think it would’ve been beneficial for me to come back to media day after everything that had gone on in the offseason. For me to have to deal with that it would’ve been unfair for the organization, the Knicks to deal with that. It would’ve been too much noise, too many questions to answer and I don’t think either party wanted to deal with that.”

The Thunder landed Anthony this past Saturday, giving up forwards Enes Kanter and Doug McDermott, as well as a second-round pick in next year’s NBA Draft.

Oklahoma City boasts a formidable three-headed monster now with reigning MVP Russell Westbrook, Paul George, and Anthony; who is slated to play the power forward position coming into this new 2017-18 season.