Kevin Durant says Donald Trump’s White House invitation pull was to save face
Kevin Durant was not surprised by President Donald Trump’s actions after the Philadelphia Eagles had chosen not to go to the White House, following their first SuperBowl victory — pulling the invitation in hopes to save face from what has now become a sports trend.
“What else did you expect Trump to do?,” asked Durant, according to Tim Bontemps of The Washington Post. “If somebody doesn’t want to come to the White House, he disinvites them so the photo op won’t look bad.”
Trump has pulled off the same gambit last year when Stephen Curry announced his lack of interest in attending during a Media Day availability prior to the start of the regular season.
The Warriors were yet to make a largely-expected group decision to decline the invite, but Trump pulled an invitation, which was never extended to begin with, given the team’s known political stance.
Kevin Durant on Eagles/White House controversy pic.twitter.com/fSK6mCsCnH
— Mark Medina (@MarkG_Medina) June 5, 2018
“We get it at this point,” said Durant, later nodding to Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James and teammate Stephen Curry, who agreed neither team would be willing to attend. “It’s good that guys are sticking to what they believe in and what they wanna do. Like guys said before me, I’m sure that whoever wins this series won’t be going.”
More than any other era in U.S. history, the political divide is now engrained in the sports world and in it for good — as NBA players have voiced their displeasure with the current presidential regime — one that likely won’t be shaken off until the end of Trump’s term.