It has been a wild year for Antonio Brown, to say the least… with the Oakland Raiders being the midpoint, not the beginning or end, of the saga.
On Friday, the New England Patriots released Brown, the latest twist in a seemingly unending saga that could end up costing the wide receiver his NFL career.
It all began at the conclusion of the 2018 campaign, when Brown demanded to be traded from the Pittsburgh Steelers following a tumultuous season.
The Steelers met his request, sending him to the Oakland Raiders for a couple of draft picks.
1. Everything seemed to be fine until Brown showed up to training camp via hot air balloon and was instantly placed on the non-football injury list due to frostbite on his feet that he sustained from not wearing the proper footwear in a cryotherapy chamber.
2. Brown then engaged the NFL in a lengthy battle over the use of his helmet, which became banned by the league for no longer being certified by the NOCSAE.
3. Brown filed two grievances against the NFL, but lost both of them.
4. The wideout then skipped some practices, resulting in a $54,000 fine from the Raiders.
5. Brown posted the fine letter on Instagram and then…
6. got into a heated confrontation with general manager Mike Mayock in practice.
7. He went on to post a private phone conversation he had with Oakland head coach Jon Gruden on YouTube…
8. … and then, after learning the Raiders had voided the $30 million they owed him in guaranteed money, he asked for his release.
9. The 31-year-old was tagged with another fine for detrimental conduct and was released.
10. He immediately signed with the Patriots, and shortly after…
11. … he was hit with rape allegations for an incident that allegedly occurred in 2018.
12. Brown played one game for New England, catching four passes for 56 yards and a touchdown against the Miami Dolphins, but due to the rape allegations, he lost his deal with Nike.
13. A report by Sports Illustrated then mentioned another woman who accused Brown of sexual misconduct in 2017, and after Brown sent threatening text messages to that woman, he was released by the Pats.