Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Bruce Arians claims that wide receiver Antonio Brown is still on a “one-strike” policy.
Well, not counting his latest troubling incident, which allegedly occurred eight days before he was signed by the Buccaneers.
In the wake of Monday’s report by the Miami Herald’s David Ovalle detailing how Brown destroyed a surveillance camera and hurled a bicycle at a security shed in his gated community on Oct. 15, Arians was asked if he’s concerned about the receiver. In response, Arians said Brown has lived up to the organization’s expectations.
“He’s been a model citizen,” Arians said on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “If and when he’s not, we’ll move on. He knows that. Our team knows that. … I don’t really think we’re going to have any problems. We haven’t had any so far and I wouldn’t anticipate any.”
Bruce Arians tells us that despite the latest incident with Antonio Brown, the wide receiver is in good standing with the team…
"He's been a model citizen, if and when he's not, we'll move on" #GoBucs
LISTEN ⤵️ pic.twitter.com/yR5dU90N6t
— SiriusXM NFL Radio (@SiriusXMNFL) November 19, 2020
Upon the team’s signing of Brown on Oct. 23—a move for which quarterback Tom Brady heavily lobbied, though Arians pushed back on that—the head coach insisted that Brown was aware that if any problems arose, “it’s a very short-lived contract.”
According to the police report obtained by the Herald, Brown lost his temper in the Hollywood Oaks apartment community over a miscommunication related to guest access. He damaged the camera and shed and verbally accosted the property manager, calling her a “racist b—h.”
The Hollywood Oaks president, Sylvia Berman, denied that she refused to press charges out of fear of retaliation from Brown, though she acknowledged that the community had worked through “assisting Mr. Brown for several months to resolve certain minor disputes with the housing authority.” Hollywood police determined that there was probable cause to charge Brown with misdemeanor.
“When Antonio joined us, we were clear about what we expected and required of him. Thus far, he has met all the expectations we have in place,” the Buccaneers organization stated on Monday in response to the report.
Despite the continued off-the-field issues, Arians’ tune has clearly changed on Brown since last spring, when he said the former All-Pro is “just not a fit” in the Buccaneers locker room.
“I think he’s matured, and I believe in second chances,” Arians said upon his signing. “If Antonio does what I think he’s gonna do, I think he’s gonna be fine.”
Brown remains involved in a number of serious legal matters. He was arrested in January for a dispute with a truck driver in Hollywood Oaks, for which he pleaded no contest to felony battery and burglary charges in June and was placed on probation. He’s also embroiled in a civil lawsuit filed by his former trainer, Britney Taylor, accusing Brown of sexual assault and rape.
In reference to the civil suit, Arians told ESPN’s Jenna Laine that he would let things play out in court before weighing in.
“I think you just let the court system do its job. Allegations — I’ve been around a lot of players that have had allegations that weren’t true, some were — so let the court system handle it. If it’s found out to be true, he won’t be with us.”
Brown has played two games for Tampa Bay since completing an eight-game suspension for multiple violations of the NFL’s personal conduct policy. He has 10 receptions for 100 yards.