Cardinals news: Bruce Arians won't commit to returning in 2018
Connect with us

Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians won’t commit to returning in 2018

Bruce Arians

The Arizona Cardinals are heading toward missing the playoffs for the second straight season after falling 32-16 to the Los Angeles Rams.

It has put into further question head coach Bruce Arians’ future with the team beyond the 2017 campaign. When asked about it on Monday, Arians voiced that there are several factors he will seriously consider before making that decision, such as his health. However, the team’s struggles over the last two seasons won’t play into his decision-making process, according to Kyle Odegard of AZCardinals.com.

“If anything, it makes me hungrier,” Arians said. “Because I know who is coming off that [injured reserve] list.”

The Cardinals have been hampered by the injury bug to key players this season, with quarterback Carson Palmer, running back David Johnson, linebacker Markus Golden, and offensive tackle D.J. Humphries all being lost for the year.

That said, Arians’ overall health will likely play be the biggest determining factor. He missed a preseason game in 2016 against the Los Angeles Chargers due to diverticulitis along with having a portion of his kidney removed last year because of cancer. On top of that, he is also a prostate cancer survivor.

All of this may ultimately be a decision that Arians doesn’t make until the 2017 season is completed. During his tenure with the Cardinals, he has racked up a 46-29-1 record with two playoffs appearances, including a trip to the NFC Championship Game.