Los Angeles Lakers reserve guard Alex Caruso, who has seen his star rise in Hollywood during his tenure in purple and gold, is not stepping into a double career as an actor just yet, as the 26-year-old Texas native is reportedly not involved in the LeBron James–led “Space Jam” sequel.
The Warner Bros. Pictures distributed film, directed by Malcolm D. Lee and produced by James' SpringHill Entertainment studio, is due to release in theaters in the summer of 2021, with the Lakers star forward and three-time NBA champion recently revealing the logo for the flick last month. Caruso, though, a rising figure in L.A. due to his peculiar image and style on the glitzy Lakers squad, is not among NBA players planning to make cameos in the highly anticipated sequel to 1996's “Space Jam” featuring Michael Jordan.
Caruso told ESPN's Zach Lowe on his “Lowe Post” podcast on Friday that he is not in the upcoming film, which will see appearances from teammate Anthony Davis, Portland Trail Blazers star point guard Damian Lillard, Golden State Warriors champion shooting guard Klay Thompson, Oklahoma City Thunder floor general Chris Paul, among others (via FanSided's Lake Show Life):
“No, unfortunately, there will not be an AC Fresh cameo in Space Jam 2. Maybe if it was a couple years from now I would have got the call,” Caruso told Lowe.
Caruso, a third-year NBA vet who has averaged 5.4 points and 1.8 assists per game in 58 appearances with the Lakers during the 2019-20 season, however, will have to worry with the league's restart in the coming months, as multiple proposals have been laid out by Commissioner Adam Silver and the Board of Governors. As the top team in the Western Conference, the Lakers, with Caruso coming off the bench, have their sights on a championship sooner or later.