Raiders’ Richie Incognito suspended two games
Raiders G Richie Incognito suspended two games for violating NFL’s personal conduct policy.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) July 12, 2019
The veteran’s suspension stems from an incident at a Scottsdale, AZ funeral home in August of last year. While making arrangements for his late father’s memorial service, Incognito threatened to “shoot people,” ultimately being arrested and pleading guilty of disorderly conduct to avoid jail time.
It wasn’t his first run-in with law enforcement last year, either. Last May, he was detained for an involuntary mental evaluation after he purportedly threw dumb bells and tennis balls at another patron of a gym in Boca Raton, FL. While in custody, Incognito reportedly told police that he was an NSA agent who was being tracked by the government.
Incognito signed a one-year deal with the Raiders in late May. He initially stated his intention to retire from the NFL before the 2018 season. The 36-year-old later said that he was looking forward to reporting to the Buffalo Bills’ offseason program, but the team cut him instead despite some major holes on the offensive line. Incognito then went on to publicly and profanely criticize Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer after the team made it clear it wasn’t interested in signing him as a free agent.
An 11-year veteran, Incognito first earned national infamy as a member of the Miami Dolphins in 2013. After tackle Jonathan Martin abruptly left the team just one year removed from being a first-round pick, reports surfaced that Incognito’s incessant bullying, which included the use of racial slurs, is what prompted the Stanford product to be unwilling to continue playing for the Dolphins.