Rams ‘concerned’ about Mark Barron’s availability Week 1
Los Angeles Rams linebacker Mark Barron is admittedly unsure about his status for the 2018 NFL season opener. Unfortunately, it appears the coaching staff shares this same sentiment.
Barron has been nursing multiple injuries that date back to last season. According to Rams insider Myles Simmons, both head coach Sean McVay and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips are concerned about his availability for Monday night’s matchup versus the Oakland Raiders:
ILB Mark Barron did not practice on Thursday, and DC Wade Phillips said there is some concern about his potential availability. HC Sean McVay said Barron is dealing with an Achilles issue.
It goes without saying that the update is certainly not encouraging. It was well-known that Barron had been dealing with a number of injuries following the 2017 NFL season. He had undergone shoulder surgery before having to remove bone spurs from his heel a month later. As a result, he was sidelined for most of the offseason. However, many assumed that he would be good to go for the season opener. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case.
Barron’s absence would deal a crushing blow to this defense. Although Los Angeles made headlines for their bevy of star-studded additions this offseason, it largely came at the expense of their linebacker corps. The Rams were set to rely heavily on Barron’s experience to help stabilize this young group filled with most first and second-year players.
Linebackers Cory Littleton and Samson Ebukam were already pegged to start alongside him. If Barron is unable to go, this could leave an opportunity for some of the other linebackers in this group such as Micah Kiser and Ramik Wilson.