Tyrod Taylor’s current status after suffering punctured lung a month ago
Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Tyrod Taylor is has been medically cleared to play football again, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.
#Chargers QB Tyrod Taylor, out about a month with a punctured lung, has been medically cleared, source said. While Justin Herbert remains the starter, Taylor could return as the backup vs. the #Jaguars if the week of practice goes well.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) October 22, 2020
Taylor had been a limited participant in practice the past two weeks.
The 10-year veteran began 2020 as the Chargers QB1, but suffered atrocious luck when he was forced to miss the second game of the season after a team doctor accidentally punctured his lung in the minutes prior to kick-off.
The 22-year old Herbert — the sixth overall pick in the 2020 draft — was thrust into his first NFL action earlier than expected, though Taylor was likely always going to be a stop-gap.
In his one start, Taylor completed 16 of his 30 passes for 208 yards in a 16-13 win over the Cincinnati Bengals — L.A.’s only victory of the season.
Initially, Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn insisted that Taylor would remain the starter, but the extent of his injury and Herbert’s solid play has forced his hand.
Shortly after the incident, Taylor was told by doctors to effectively stay away from football activities for the foreseeable future, so his progress is certainly good news.
Herbert is 0-4 as a starter, but it’s hard to place too much blame onto him. The former Oregon star has averaged nearly 300 yards per game since taking over, thrown nine TDs against three picks, and has a passer rating of 107.1.
The NFLPA is currently examining its and Taylor’s options after investigating the incident.