Chargers’ Joey Bosa says he’s out until at least Week 8
The Los Angeles Chargers have been without the services of star defensive end Joey Bosa through the first three weeks of the season due to a foot injury.
It appears Bosa’s recovery window will extend through the Chargers’ Week 8 bye, according to Eric Williams of ESPN.
Chargers DE Joey Bosa told reporters on Wednesday that he likely will be out at least until his team's bye week, which is Week 8. Bosa got his cast off this week and is in a protective boot. Bosa still has instability in the tendon of his bruised left… pic.twitter.com/UiSLsJCBJ3
— Eric Williams (@eric_d_williams) September 26, 2018
The loss of Bosa on the defensive front is huge as he has quickly proven to be one of the top young defensive ends in his first two seasons in the league. He recorded back-to-back double-digit sack totals in his first two years and is also coming off a career-high 12.5 sacks. He added 70 tackles and four forced fumbles while playing in all 16 regular-season games last year, earning his first Pro Bowl selection.
Bosa also notched 19 sacks in his first 20 career games, which is the most sacks by a player in his first 20 games to begin a career since the individual sack became an official statistic in 1982. Bosa and defensive end Melvin Ingram form one of the best pass-rushing duos in the league, which has vaunted the Chargers toward being one of the better defensive units when healthy.
This injury has put Los Angeles in a bit of a bind. The Chargers rank in the middle of the pack in 17th with seven sacks, with rookie safety Derwin James leading the team with 2.0 sacks. This is a situation that the team will continue to monitor over the next few weeks, and they’re hoping Bosa can return to the field as soon as possible to bolster their defense.