Antonio Brown draws interest from Texans, several NFL teams
Former NFL All-Pro wide receiver Antonio Brown is drawing interest from teams around the league, according to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle.
Nothing imminent or developing this time with Texans and free agent wide receiver Antonio Brown, according to team sources. Several teams continue to monitor and evaluate Brown, 32, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection who is currently serving an eight-game NFL suspension
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) September 25, 2020
Brown last played in Week 2 of last season for the New England Patriots. He was cut by the Raiders prior to the 2019 season after numerous football and non-football related incidents, including helmet grievances and frostbitten feet.
Brown scored a touchdown in his only game with New England, but was promptly released after sending threatening text messages to a woman accusing him of sexual assault.
On Friday, Houston Texans head coach and GM Bill O’Brien—who confusingly traded his best player, star wideout DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals during the offseason—didn’t rule out the possibility of signing Antonio Brown.
“I would never discuss anything in that regard,” O’Brien said, per Wilson. “Right now, we’re very satisfied with what we have. You never say never to anything. I don’t anticipate anything whether that player or any other player.”
ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported on Friday that the 0-2 Texans are “at least poking around” about Brown.
If the Texans (or another team) wanted to sign the veteran wideout, they would have to wait at least six games before seeing him on the field as he serves a suspension for multiple violations of the league’s conduct policy.
Earlier this month, a judge ordered Brown to turn over text messages and related evidence pertaining to a civil suit from the woman who accused him of rape and sexual assault, and the NFL has said that the suspension could be extended.